Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Does Facebook make you sad?


Are you a member of this extremely popular social networking website? I bet you are, same here. It's been great being part of it, to be able to connect and reconnect with your love ones and friends. See their lives unfolding. I've seen my nephews and nieces as they grow-up through this website. Being thousands of miles away from home, this is one of the best ways of keeping in touch with them.

Recently, I came across this article "Why Facebook Makes You Sad?  Pictures posted on site can make people jealous of each others' livesAccording to this article, the more hours people spent on Facebook, the stronger was their agreement that others were happier. Looking at happy pictures of others on this hugely popular website gives people an impression that others are "always" happy and having good lives. While users will know that their real friends have ups and downs in their lives, all they have to go on with their fake Facebook 'friends' is a smiling picture. When that distorting effect is multiplied by the hundreds of Facebook friends that people don't actually know, it is easy to see how bitterness can fester, said the study

Sooo true, I must agree. I had my moments of sadness and jealousy while I was hooked in FB. I did stop also for a while because it made me sick of envy. I even contemplated on deleting my account, but fortunately I did not, otherwise I'll lost contact with my family and friends and that would be the real sad part.  A close friend once told me "not everything you see in FB is happy. We all have our own ups and downs". Reality check! She's right! I must admit that I also have a good fair share of life's blessings. So why should I be sad and jealous? Oh well! I forgot to count my blessings. For as long as my family and friends are happy, I am happy for them too.   

Stay connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment